Support for children with Special Educational Needs

The four broad ‘areas of need’ with regard to SEN are;

Communication and Interaction,

Cognition and Learning,

Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and

Sensory and Physical Needs.

If a learner is identified as having SEN, Rivacre Valley will provide support that is ‘additional to’ or ‘different from’ the Quality First Teaching that is already provided.  That is, the differentiated approaches and learning arrangements routinely part of the school day.  This alternative support is monitored through half termly Target Sheets devised by the class teacher supported by the Inclusion Manager.  Children’s Targets are shared with all relevant members of staff who work with the child.  In order to provide support that is ‘different from’ or ‘additional to’ we follow a four stage model outlined in the SEN Code of Practice:

Consider all the information from discussions with parents/carers (these can be informal, at parents evenings or through formal appointments), the child, the class teacher and assessments.

We look at the barriers to learning, what we would like the child to achieve and what additional support can be put into place in order to overcome the barriers.  Targets will be set and recorded on the child’s Target Sheet.

We will then provide the support as detailed on the Target Sheet.  The support will be tailored to meet the child’s needs and will target a particular area of difficulty.  Support may be provided in class or in another room, on a 1:1 basis or as part of a small group of learners with similar needs.  It may be delivered by a teacher or a trained teaching assistant.

Each half term the class teacher will measure the impact of the support provided and record it on the Target Sheet.  We will consider whether changes to the support need to be made and will act accordingly.

If parents/carers or school feel that despite high quality interventions and appropriate adjustments, progress is limited, advice and support may be requested from other professionals.  With parents/carers consent, this might involve: Speech & Language Therapy Services, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Educational Psychologist, Paediatrician, School Nurse/Doctor and Health Department.

The majority of children having this type of ‘SEN Support’ will have their needs met in this way.  A small number of children may require an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment to determine whether it is necessary for the Local Authority to make provision in accordance with an EHC plan.

Where a child has an EHC, there will be an Annual Review taking into account the views of the child, their parent or carer and all other professionals involved with the child.

Student Login